Saturday, August 8, 2009

Welcome to the Daily Slow Pitch Softball Coach!

Slow-pitch softball attracts a wide profile of players - all ages and widely varying degrees of baseball or softball skills and experience. Most players are challenged with the fundamental mechanics required excel in slow-pitch, regardless of previous experience. The game has changed greatly in the last few years, moving away from the homer-happy big boys and 100-99 games. Today's game is played with a softer ball and restricted bats, and the importance of power has declined accordingly. My approach is rooted deeply in baseball fundamentals, both individually and as a team. My teams play a complete, aggressive, athletic, "gamer" brand of softball rooted in relentless execution of fundamentals and superior teamwork.

If you are new to the game with little to no baseball/softball experience, this blog will teach you the basic fundamentals of hitting, throwing, catching, and game execution in an accessible and fun way. If you are a baseball veteran, I'll help you translate those skills and teaches the subtle differences in technique that slow-pitch requires. If you are building a team, we'll discuss proper team fundamentals and game execution strategies. In short, I'll teach you to be a the best athlete and slow pitch softball player that you can be AND I'll show you how to teach your team to WIN.

About Coach Brian McRae

I have been a competitive athlete my entire life and have more than 20 years of experience as a slow-pitch softball player and coach. I've played on B, C, and D league teams at Fort Worth Arc Park, Austin Pleasant Valley, and Austin Capital City, winning several league titles and tournaments. As a coach, my teams have won six league championships and numerous tournaments.

As I was putting my team and my coaching practice together, I went out looking for slow-pitch softball specific coaches or resources here in Austin, Texas. There were none. I widened my search to the entire US and I found a few, grainy videos on YouTube but no specific curriculum and NO live coaching! There is fantastic video instruction about baseball and fast-pitch softball all over the Internet, but nothing specific to slow-pitch. Until now...

I’ve partnered with The On-Deck Circle (http://www.cedarparkbattingcages.com/), a baseball coaching facility owned and operated by Jesse Garcia, former standout MLB player with the Braves and Orioles. I’ve developed a curriculum designed to teach the specific skills needed to be a good, fundamentally sound slow pitch softball player (http://www.cedarparkbattingcages.com/ODC/BrianMcRae). I teach small group clinics, multi-day camps, individual lessons, and team practices. I’m also partnering with an outdoor batting cage, local city leagues, and blasting social media channels to get the word out.

I'll post to this blog 2-3 times per week, with one tip or practice point you can use, RIGHT NOW, to improve your game. Also, feel free to comment or e-mail if you have any specific topics or questions!

Enjoy, play hard, and have fun!
Coach Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment